The angel then begins to share the letters Yeshua wrote to seven churches. We suggest that these churches were existing at the time, but some Bible teachers see the descriptions of each church as describing “The Church” down through the centuries.
Of the seven churches Yeshua pointed out the problematic issues of five of these churches then also gives them a promise of blessing for those who “overcome.”
- The church of Esphesus had “lost their first love.” (Revelation 2:1-7)
- The church of Pergamos held onto the false doctrines of Balaam and the Nicolaitans (Revelation 2:12-17)
- The church of Thyatira compromised by allowing a woman of sexual immorality to influence those of the congregation. (Revelation 2:18-29)
- The church of Sardis was considered “dead” in Yeshua’s eyes for He had not found their works sufficiently acceptable. (Revelation 3:1-6)
- The church of Laodicea was halfhearted, indifferent in their faith and ministry. (Revelation 3:14-22)
Yeshua had nothing but commendations for two of the churches.
- The church in Smyrna suffered poverty, distress and troublemakers in the congregation. Yeshua even warned that some would be tested by being thrown into prison, but Yeshua was pleased with their perseverance.
- The church in Philadelphia was also commended for their perseverance to faithfully keep Yeshua’s commands.
PRAY FOR TODAY’S CHURCH TO PERSEVERE IN DYNAMIC AND PURE FAITH